corpus-paul - Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 06:42:23 -0600

Fred Rich wrote:

> It's interesting that Mark brings up the reasons for the unfulfilment of
> what
> Paul says. In my own research I am pondering the thought of identifying
> Paul's 'ministry' (for want of a better term) within the prophetic
> tradition.
> Often it seems that prophecies given by Old Testament prophets such as
> Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel et al. didn't actually happen because 'elements
> (they) believed needed to take place for the scenario (they) envisioned to
> develop failed to materialize'. For example the restoration of Israel that
> Isaiah talks about doesn't happen, because the people do not do what is
> required of them. Could the same then be said for Paul, as I think you are
> saying?
>
> As a result of this is it possible to identify Paul as someone operating in
> the prophetic tradition (at the least), or even as a prophet? I know that
> this is only one example, but nonetheless it is an important one for Paul,
> or
> so it seems, which could be indicative of the larger picture for him. To
> recap, is what Paul saying prophetic? If so, is it reliant on a certain
> response from 'all' Israel that in fact didn't happen? Again, if so, does
> this mean that Paul is a prophet, or at least someone operating within the
> prophetic tradition of Israel?

Fred,
Thanks for sharing this thought. I too approach Paul as a figure in the
Israelite prophetic tradition, as you have rightly surmised. It is in fact
this initial thought when studying various eschatological traditions in a
course that initiated my interest in Paul some 25 years ago in spite of
finding that the the prevailing view was that he was otherwise (i.e.,
instead, a Christian critical of empirical Israel [Jewish people] in a
sectarian sense instead of a reformer speaking on behalf of her). And it is
in the direction you suggest that I see the issue of whether things turn out
as he imagined or not, although I do not believe the only constraint is from
Israel's response. Romans suggests it is also due to the response of the
Christ-believing representatives of the nations: this effects the fate of
Israelites as well (as I read Romans, anyway), and surely there are other
constraints in this "present evil age" (Gal. 1:4), not least Paul's own
"human" limitations. I say this not to blame; I think we should avoid the
assessing of culpability; who is perfect or able to know the mind of other
(in this case no longer living) humans, much less God?

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.