corpus-paul - Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald (Shaw)" <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:41:17 -0800

>>Anyone else care to get involved?

Well, we are already, thanks.

I am full of questions but I have to wait till they mature. But here's one
that's sort of related:

I am ploughing through Barrett's commentary (2nd edition 1991) which my
son-in-law gave me for my disciplined instruction this Christmas. I am
disturbed by his use of the adjective Christian and even the noun Christian
as applied to Paul. Is it OK to overlook the language of the 1950s and
excuse what seems an anachronism in the otherwise excellent work he does?

Re your current discussion: every little tidbit from the dialogue on Paul
and Romans finds its place - even if we find our own understanding
problematical (as Barrett admits at times).

Personally, I have no problem with the great Diaspora - it does not seem to
me that Paul had any expectation that all Israel would be saved 'in his own
lifetime'. He seems (after Thessalonians) to have avoided the telescoping
of time into his part of it. The 'earnest of eternal life' and his 'presence
in the assembly in Spirit' seems to have been both satisfactory and very
effective for him (he having had such an influence on our thought for so
long).

Bob

+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
http://bmd.gx.ca

  • Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel, Bob MacDonald (Shaw), 01/03/2002