corpus-paul - Romans 8.4 Abstract

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "bienert" <keithbienert AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul List" <Corpus-Paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Romans 8.4 Abstract
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:05:12 -0700

I recently finished by doctoral dissertation on Paul's view of the law.  I am including a brief abstract for those who would be interested in discussing this subject with me.

BIENERT, Keith David. The Apostle Paul’s View of the Law According to

Romans 8.1-17. São Leopoldo: EST, 2001.

ABSTRACT

This dissertation analyzes Paul’s view of the law in Romans 8.1-17. Part I offers a thorough exegesis of Romans 8.1-17 with the subject of the law in focus. The heart of the dissertation is a detailed analysis of Romans 8.4 due to its importance in the discussion of Paul’s theology of the law. Special attention is given to the meaning and significance of the phrase dikai/wma tou= no/mou . The basic question addressed in this dissertation is whether Romans 8.1-17 supports the continuity or the discontinuity of the law in Paul’s theology. The exegesis demonstrates that these verses are an important part of Paul’s argument for the discontinuity of the law. It will be shown that Romans 8.4, rather than being the basis for the teaching of the moral use of the law, is actually the climax of Paul’s argument for the discontinuity of the law. Part II seeks to confirm and support the exegesis presented in Part I by tracing Paul’s argument of law free righteousness throughout the rest of the letter to the Romans.

Dr. Keith Bienert

  • Romans 8.4 Abstract, bienert, 12/30/2001