corpus-paul - Re: N. T. Wright , "Paul's Gospel and Caesar's Empire"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald (Shaw)" <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: N. T. Wright , "Paul's Gospel and Caesar's Empire"
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:33:55 -0800

Thank you Stephen for correction my spelling checker. I had slipped to
succession from supercession and the speller gave me seccession as a fix!. I
must have been too fixated to notice till after.

I thought about this problem and came up with the following paragraph re
supercession:

What is superceding what? In the first century Jewish writing known by
Christians as the New Testament, there was no 'Christian religion'. There
was no Mishnah, no Talmud, no canon of NT writings. All sects of Judaism
shared the TNK as their scriptures. Both Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity
are supercessionist to that first century Judaism. They are children of the
same womb. There were sharp disagreements - and these are well documented in
the NT, particularly the disagreement over whether gentiles needed to be
circumcised to be considered acceptable in the Kingdom of God.

Is this a reasonable statement?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +