corpus-paul - Re: Resistance & Subversive movements in antiquity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcnchicago.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Resistance & Subversive movements in antiquity
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:31:21 -0600

Paul Zanker's The Power of Images in the Age of  Augustus
is a wonderful monograph on propaganda. It focuses
on the implementation of imperial power, rather than its
overthrow, but it does address the other part of your
question, viz., the advancement of an agenda.

>From the perspective of social psychology here are two
interesting books:
Robert Cialdini, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
Anthony Pratkanis, Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasaion
These two books focus on the present, but provide
helpful ways to think about how people in the past
might have accomplished their ends. Let me put that another
way. These books provide a way of thinking about rhetoric
that will help you think about how propaganda works.

All three are also fun to read.

Dale Walker
Chicago