corpus-paul - Re: Books on Paul's Jewish background

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: BBurrowes AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Books on Paul's Jewish background
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:02:16 EDT

Hello Jeff,

You did not mention what aspect of the Jewish background to Paul's thought
you were studying, but I have emphasized the issue of Paul and the Law, since
that is my own area of interest. I would recommend:

E.P Sanders, Paul and Palestinian Judaism
Paul, the Law, and the Jewish People
James D. G. Dunn, his Romans and Galatians commentaries, as well as his
Jesus, Paul and the Law, and his Theology of Paul the Apostle
Alan Segal, Paul the Convert
Terence Donaldson, Paul and the Gentiles
Martin Hengel, The Pre-Christian Paul
Martin Hengel and Anna Maria Schwemer, Paul Between Damascus and Antioch
Peter Stuhlmacher, Commentary on Romans
Frank Thielman, From Plight to Solution: A Jewish Framework for Understanding
Paul's View of the Law in Romans and Galatians (also his Paul and the Law)
Peter Tomson, Paul and the Jewish Law
Markus Bockmuehl, Jewish Law in Gentile Churches
John Ashton, The Religion of Paul the Apostle
Seyoon Kim, The Origin of Paul's Gospel
Mark Nanos, The Mystery of Romans
N.T. Wright, The New Testament and the People of God
The Climax of the Covenant

Older books include:
Albert Schweizer, The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Paul and his Interpreters
W. D. Davies, Paul and Rabbinic Judaism
Jewish and Pauline Studies
H. J. Schoeps, Paul

In some cases, only part of the books will be of interest to you. I hope
this helps you.

Brett Burrowes
Durham University, U.K.