corpus-paul - Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Fabrizio Palestini" <fabrizio.palestini AT tin.it>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Dutch Radical Approach to the Pauline Epistles
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:10:56 +0200

Dear Mark

First of all thank you for the detailed response.

The Eysinga's article is a "classic", it doesn't represent exactly the
modern position of Detering et al.
What is remarkable in Eysinga, Van Manen, etc is the admirable sense of
criticism (in periods in which this was perhaps lacking: the Dutch Radicals
"did not forget to question, when questioning had gone out of fashion for
the rest of theology" Schweitzer, Geschichte der Paulinischen Forschung).
So could I suggest to read all the article I listed (in particular "Der
Gefalschte Paulus" and "Pauline Paradigm and Pauline Authenticity)?

> ...This approach is filled with as many questionable historical and
rhetorical
> and sociological and philological presuppositions as the traditional
> approaches it seeks to challenge...

I understand your opinion, but in this case the differences in "consensus"
between the two positions is explicable only through prejudice, isn't it?
The rigorous methodology proposed by Darrell Doughty in "Pauline Paradigme
etc." and "Luke's Story of Paul in Corinth" (historical criticism contra
apologetic historicizating) deserves the greatest attention, in my opinion.

I'd like to know what is your position on this matter.

Thank you very much
Best regards

Fabrizio Palestini