corpus-paul - Re: gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rick S" <rick.strelan AT mailbox.uq.edu.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gospel
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:51:53 +1000

Edgar Krentz wrote:

> I find this almost incomprehensible, that Paul wrote a gospel. He
> uses EUAGGELION with verbs that all imply oral communication. And
> there is so little use of Jesus' acts and words that the proposal
> seems to me ein Fehlgeburt.

I'm more than happy to abort the whole idea. But I will at least make myself
clear. I certainly do not think that Paul wrote a Gospel like the canonical
Gospels, in other words a 'life' of Jesus. I am simply asking whether Paul's
'gospel' came to his audience first of all in written form [like
announcements of weddings and holy-days etc did]. The contents were read and
heard and the message called EUAGGELION.

Does the verb EUAGGELIZ- 'imply oral communication'? It certainly includes
oral communication, but there's little doubt that it can also include
written communication.

Two things: why did Jerome think Paul referred to a written Gospel when he
spoke of 'my gospel'? Didn't Jerome know that Paul communicated 'his gospel'
orally?
Secondly, what was an EUAGGELISTHS? A reader? A writer? Both? Neither?

I'm not losing sleep over this!

Rick Strelan
University of Queensland