corpus-paul - Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:19:15 -0700

Jonathan wrote:
>> I think that Paul's "success" in Ephesus must surely be measured
>> in his impact on the whole region of Asia Minor. Acts 19:9b-10
>> says: "He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in
>> the lecture hall of Tyrannus. This went on for two years, so that all
>> the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the
>> word of the Lord" (NIV).

Jeffrey replied:
>The question I (and I think many others on this List) would have here is: How
>trustworthy is this data? Luke has his own agenda regarding Paul's
"success" and
>frequently it doesn't square up very well with what can be gleaned in this
regard from
>Paul's letters.

Richard now writes:
What is the evidence for your assertions, Jeffrey? I have not found
anything in Paul's letters to cast doubt on Acts 19:9b-10. On the contrary,
Rom 15:23 is rather consistent with Acts 19:9b-10, for it tells us that
Paul had run out of new places to evangelize. Furthermore, those of us who
accept an Ephesian imprisonment can use the data in Philemon and Colossians

as evidence that at least parts of the province of Asia had been
evangelized by Paul's team before the departure of Timothy (Acts 19.22),
and this lends some support to Acts 19:9b-10.

Richard Fellows

  • Acts 19:9b-10 (was corpus-paul digest: June 20, 2001), Richard Fellows, 06/27/2001