corpus-paul - Re: Romans 16... looking for a resource

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 16... looking for a resource
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 19:32:33 -0500

on 6/21/01 10:12 AM, Ntsearcher AT aol.com at Ntsearcher AT aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a book that contains a study done on the names of people
> mentioned in Romans 16.
>
> Someone has done a study using a computer (I believe) tracing each name in
> Romans 16, and determing whether these folks were slaves, or freedmen, etc.
>
> I believe the study was done by Robert Jewett. But perhaps that's not
> correct.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the book I'm referring to?

I am not sure about the Jewett work, but it well may be. Do see P. Lampe's
essay in The Romans Debate, ed. K. Donfried, Hendrickson, which will be of
use for your topic. Jewett drew heavily from Lampe's book on early Roman
Christianity (in German) for some other essays I am familiar with. I know I
read someone else on this topic not that long ago, but can't think of who or
where at the moment.

Regards,
Mark
--