corpus-paul - Re: wild beasts

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wild beasts
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:57:48 -0500

Ntsearcher AT aol.com wrote:

> I've yet to read a satisfying interpretation of Paul's word: "I fought with
> wild beasts in Ephesus." Anyone have an insight into that?

It would be helpful to know what interpretations you are familiar with and
why you find
those you know unsatisfactory.

> Also, it appears that Priscilla and Aquila risked their necks for Paul in
> Ephesus. I've heard some say that they were the beach head for the newly
> founded church in Rome, Paul sending them there (as he did to Ephesus
> previous) to spearhead the new church.

I think you have misheard. P & A seem to have come **from** Rome and had been
there
before Paul ever met them.

> Claudius had died and the ban was lifted around A.D. 54. The idea is that
> they went to Rome near the lifting of the ban thus risking their lives.

What is your source for this idea?

May I suggest that you get hold of _Dictionary of Paul and His Letters_ and
have a look
at what is said there on P & A and the other matters you raise?

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)