corpus-paul - RE: textbook recommendations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Lodge" <jlodge AT usml.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: textbook recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:01:49 -0500

Over the years I have used a number of different texts, beginning with
Meeks' The Writings of St. Paul. The text I have found most useful is,
unfortunately, out of print: Daniel Patte's Paul's Faith and the Power of
the Gospel: A Structural Introduction to the Pauline Letters (Philadelphia:
Fortress, 1983). Favoring a literary-critical approach as I do, I find
Patte's conclusions illuminating and his approach very simple and clear,
free of the usual jargon.

Settling for the best in print, I, too, am using Brown's Introduction to the
New Testament. I supplement this with an "issues in Pauline history and
interpretation" book: N. T. Wright's What Paul Really Said: Was Paul of
Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity? Poorly titled, the book not only
answers the question the title poses in a way with which I agree ("no"), it
deals in a short space with issues such as Paul's context and his modern
interpreters.

John Lodge