corpus-paul - Re: SYMBOLISM OF 14 YEARS -& SOURCE OF PAULS GOSPEL

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SYMBOLISM OF 14 YEARS -& SOURCE OF PAULS GOSPEL
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 04:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

Charles Scott wrote:

> Whether there was a 14 year dormant
> period where Paul reflected on the
> meaning of his Damascus Road experience,
> I don't know, and feel we don't have
> sufficient information to determine.

Roy Ciampa has already indicated how the information
supplied in Gal. 1:15-17 -- when coupled with the verb
tenses used in Gal. 2:2 -- offers fairly sufficient
data. We could paraphrase the former text as follows:
“God called me to preach the gospel among pagans, and
at first I didn’t seek counsel with anyone in
Jerusalem (or elsewhere) about the matter, but I
rather went to Arabia and began evangelizing Gentiles
right away.” For Gal. 2:2: “I presented to the pillars
the circumcision-free gospel which I proclaim among
Gentiles, in order to be sure that I was not running
now -- and had not been running before -- in vain.”
The language in these texts doesn’t really allow for a
dormant period at all, let alone a “14-year” one.

> Many of us have taken off more time than
> that to reassess where we should be in
> the Lord's service and to re-equip ourselves
> for leadership. It required more than
> 14 years for me to really appreciate
> Paul's Christology, and I had it written
> out in front of me.

I appreciate your words of caution here. But were you
ever really like Saul or Paul, in either case burning
fervently for the imminent end, zealous,
overconfident, highly intellectual, and with an
ever-present craving for correcting wrongs all around
you? I can’t imagine Saul/Paul as wanting or needing
(or having the time to spare for) much “time off” for
reflection and re-equipment.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua, NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com