corpus-paul - hUPO NOMON

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: hUPO NOMON
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:33:46 -0600

Dear Lloyd,

You write:

>I wonder why no one has alluded to the strangeness of the phrase hUPO NOMON.
>Moon stated that it is not found in the LXX but did not follow up on his
>observation. In fact I am unaware of its counterpart (presumably tachat
>ha-Torah) appearing in any Hebrew text. It sounds very un-Jewish to me.
>How then could Paul use the Greek equivalent if he were really attempting to
>communicate with Jews?

It is true that we do not find the phrase "under law" in the OT to my
knowledge, but the usage could have been common by intertestamental and NT
times. Anyway, Paul in Romans 7 compared the relation of a person to the
Law with that of a woman to her husband. Just as a person is under the Law
before conversion, so a woman is under her husband (Rom 7:2: hUPANDROS
"under a man"). This idea of being under the authority of one's husband is
common to the OT.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard
Dallas, TX

  • hUPO NOMON, Lloyd Gaston, 02/05/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: hUPO NOMON, Loren Rosson, 02/06/2001
    • hUPO NOMON, Harold R. Holmyard III, 02/06/2001