corpus-paul - RE: Occam's Razor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Occam's Razor
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:09:22 -0500

Bob MacDonald stated:

>>Does Occam's razor apply to the kind of historical analysis that so
many are trying to do in the reconstruction of the acts of 'this
generation'? I am beginning to doubt it.<<

Evidently, this is a quite complex issue.

Recently I had read _Induction and Hypothesis: A Study of the Logic of
Confirmation_ (S. F. Barker, Cornel U.P., 1957) and the issues
revolving around a criterion of confirmation employing the notion of
simplicity receives specific attention in Chapter IX (pp. 165-191).

Unfortunately, theoretical logic drives me nuts so I have yet to fully
decipher how the implications of theoretical issues can be applied to
historical investigations. Check it out. Maybe you will find it an
easier task than I have (and be willing to share your conclusions with
the rest of us)!

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

  • Occam's Razor, Bob MacDonald, 12/06/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Occam's Razor, Loren Rosson, 12/06/2000
    • RE: Occam's Razor, David C. Hindley, 12/06/2000