corpus-paul - Re: (virus warning!!)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Eric Potts <eric AT revpotts.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: (virus warning!!)
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:45:04 +0000

John Dickson wrote:
Thank you to Mike Myers for pointing out the virus in my email program.
I have since discovered that it is called "kakworm". It attaches itself to
the 'Outlook Express' program only. Like other 'worms' it does nothing to
data, but only replicates itself with every email sent out and received. It
has now been removed from my computer. I am clean!
Sincere apologies to anyone who may have been infected as a result of my
previous email.
Details about the virus can be found at:
http://www.pchell.com/internet/kakworm.shtml
An automatic 'cleaner' for the virus can be found at:
http://www.roguevalley.com/downloads/kakcleaner.exe

I have suffered this virus also and my anti-virus program, PCcillin, didn't pick it up. However their support division mailed me instructions on how to get rid of it, and they worked. According to PCCillin's info, this is the most common virus currently active.

I'm glad to hear about kakcleaner and I've downloaded it. If anyone would like the info I got from PCcillin, I'll gladly mail it.

I've also deactivated Outlook Express; I prefer Eudora anyway.

Eric.
Eric Potts: Lowestoft, England.
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ericpotts

  • (virus warning!!), John Dickson, 11/02/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: (virus warning!!), Eric Potts, 11/03/2000