corpus-paul - Re: paul's wife

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Peter W. Dunn" <pwdunn AT ilap.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: paul's wife
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:37:47 -0400

Liz Fried wrote:
>I personally doubt he'd be galavanting all around the world if he were
>a married man.

Let me cite Clement of Alexandria from Chadwick's translation (strom. 3.53):
"Even Paul did not hesitate in one letter to address his consort. The
only reason why he did not take her about with him was that it would have
been an inconvenience for his ministry. Accordingly he says in a letter:
'Have we not a right to take about with us a wife that is a sister like the
other apostles?' But the latter, in accordance with their particular
ministry, devoted themselves to preaching without any distraction, and took
their wives with them not as women with whom they had marriage relations,
but as sisters, that they might be their fellow-ministers in dealing with
housewives. It was through them that the Lord's teaching penetrated also
the women's quarters without any scandal being aroused."

If indeed Syzyges (Phil 4.3) was his wife, one could speculate the
following: Paul arrives in Philippi a single man. He is invited to the
house of Lydia which becomes his base of ministry. He marries Lydia to
avoid scandal, though their marriage may be no more than a convenience.
When Paul moves on, he leaves Lydia in Philippi. Thus, as Clement suggests,
he does not exercise his right to bring along his wife, but this does not
mean he is unmarried. Lydia remains in Philippi, lending leadership
stability to the church in Philippi, while selling her purple cloth and
supporting Paul financially in his mission. Given Jesus' declaration
regarding the reward for those who leave their wives, etc., it does not seem
impossible for Paul to have been married.
F.F. Bruce writes on Acts 16.14-15: "The fancy that one of them became
more than her guest--that, as S. Baring-Gould [A Study of St. Paul (London,
1897)] urged, 'she and Paul were either married at Philippi or would have
been so but for untoward circumstances'--may be dismissed as nothing but a
fancy" (NICNT). I am not so sure. If Lydia were already married, how does
she have the right to invite Paul into her home without first consulting her
husband? I don't think she was married already. On the other hand, unless
Lydia was a very, very old woman, then gossip about her and Paul would have
undoubtedly circulated the city. A marriage of convenience would certainly
have simplified matters.

Cheers,
Peter W. Dunn
Professeur Visiteur
Faculté de Théologie Evangélique de Bangui