corpus-paul - Re: Noachide commandments

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Noachide commandments
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:28:02 -0700 (PDT)

Philip wrote:

> << The discussion of the Noahide commandments in the
> tractate Sanhedrin seems
> to indicate that even then the concept was rather
> floating. It was not
> defined yet. >>

Jim responded:

> Could you elaborate or give the reference? The
> actual Biblical text is
> not ambiguous, Genesis 9:1-7. Also obvious is its
> place within the covenant
> which continues through verse 17. What is
> "floating" about the concept? Is
> there disagreement whether gentiles were expected to
> keep these laws?
> By itself, I think the similarities between the
> decree of Acts 15 and the
> commands of Genesis 9 indicate that the commandments
> of Noah was a current
> concept in 1st century Judaism.

Like Jim, I wouldn’t mind an elaboration here, Philip.
It looks like the four stipulations set down in the
Apostolic Decree were a cross between “Righteous
Gentile” and “Resident Alien” requirements -- the
first and the fourth (“don’t eat food sacrificed to
idols”, “don’t eat blood”) being the Resident Alien
obligations, the second and third (“don’t fornicate”,
“don’t eat meat from an animal that’s been strangled”)
being two of the seven Noahide commandments. When
taken with traditions like Gen. 9:1-7, it indeed
appears that the Noahide commandments were in place by
the early first century.

On your further distinction between “perish” and “be
judged” I will think more on the matter, and, as I
said, I'm anxious to read your forthcoming article.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com