corpus-paul - re: Gal 2

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dieter Mitternacht" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Gal 2
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:00:32 +0200

Kathryn wrote:
> Paul shows little regard for the Jerusalem leadership when it comes to his
> own domain.

I agree. Paul may also have been careful in treating others the way he
expects to be treated himself in this respect. At least this is the
interesting point made by J Murphy O'Connor in 'Paul. A Critical Life' with
regard to mission in the South Galatian region. During the mission journey
there, Paul was the companion of Barnabas and Barnabas was in charge. Having
separated from Barnabas, Paul honored the authority of Barnabas (so M O'C)
over that region and never returned there.

I also think, Paul's public denigration of Peter at Antioch (or, if you wish,
his claim to it in Gal) speaks for itself. Whatever we know about honor and
shame and vilification in the Med world, I am quite sure you would not call
someone a hypocrite and then repeat that accusation in a letter - while at
the same time upholding your own position beyond blemish - if you have come
to an agreement with that person and respected his authority.

Gal 2.6-10 is a good example of Paul's subtle attempt to establish himself
over against the apostles. I would even argue, that he composed the apparent
report with great skill in such a way, that he appeared to have been
attributed with the title 'apostle of the akrobustia', even though it is not
in the text. And translations have filled it in diligently. Or why do listers
think 2.7 is constructed like this:

they saw that I had been entrusted with the Gospel to the akrobustia.
just as Peter --------- to the circumcision.

I know, one can explain ellipses with arguments from greek style. But that
will not explain, why we have a cetain sequence of ellipses.

Paul had to take into consideration the influence of other authorities ('for
fear that I had run in vain...' 2.2), wherefore we will find both kinds of
arguments: assertions of independence and claims of agreement. As far as I am
concerned, Paul's influence was based on hard mission work and an immense
committment to the task, rather than an established position in the early
church.

Regards
Dieter

  • re: Gal 2, Kathryn J. S. Smith, 09/21/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • re: Gal 2, Mark D. Nanos, 09/22/2000
    • re: Gal 2, Dieter Mitternacht, 09/22/2000
    • re: Gal 2, Loren Rosson, 09/22/2000
    • re: Gal 2, Dieter Mitternacht, 09/24/2000
    • re: Gal 2, Mark D. Nanos, 09/24/2000
    • re: Gal 2, Loren Rosson, 09/25/2000