corpus-paul - Re: Paul's collection and the Starvation in Judaea

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's collection and the Starvation in Judaea
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:44:47 -0400

On 8/15/00, Mark Nanos wrote:

>>Have you checked the books on the collection by Georgi? Nickle?
Although they have different and more theologically based approaches
to the issues, they might brush upon such an example along the way.<<

I obtained a copy of Georgi's book today, and I have to agree with
John Hurd that it left me "dissatisfied." It is essentially an attempt
to explain the NT account(s) by means of church tradition! He proceeds
as though he knows the dates and agendas of everybody. Wow. Also, it
appears that Acts and the letters of Paul are given equal weight and
their accounts conflated.

Looking for any investigation into how such a collection could have
been pulled off without imperial intervention, I have not found
anything at all. In fact, except for a few chronological synchronisms,
sources outside of the NT are rarely used. The motivations assigned to
parties and individuals seem superficial.

Is Keith Nickle (when I find his book) going to be any different?

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA