corpus-paul - Re: adoption

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Akio ITOU <akioito AT tci.ac.jp>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: adoption
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:08:29 +0900

> From: Sheila McGinn <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:54:06 -0400
> To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: [corpus-paul] adoption
>
> I am working on Rom 8:1-17 where Paul uses the language of "adoption as
> sons"
> (huiothesein). Can anyone point me to studies of this term which specify
> who
> might be
> the object of the adoption? Ultimately I am trying to determine whether
> this
> should
> be read as a gender inclusive or exclusive term in this context; Castelli
> argued it
> should be read exclusively because there are no attestations of the term
> being
> used
> for adoption of women as heirs. Is there a comparable term for women? Any
> help will
> be appreciated. SEM

I am aware that etymology is not almighty, but the Gk word 'huiothesein',
'huiothesia' is derived from 'huios' (son). It appears to me at least
arguable that this is a gender excluxive term. I am wondering if you have
come across the following work:
James M. Scott, Adoption as Sons of God: An Exegetical Investigation into
the Background of ' huiothesia' in the Pauline Corpus
WUNT 2.48 J.C.B.Mohr, 1992
I have no idea whether your question is dealt with in the work or not.
Personally I would not be surprised to find the term to be gender exclusive.

Akio Ito
Tokyo Christian Unviersity