corpus-paul - Re: Question: Agon Motif in Paul...

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Christopher Hutson" <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Agon Motif in Paul...
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:40:59 -0400

Fred,

I assume the work you already have is Pfitzner, Paul and the Agon Motif.
Here are some additional studies that may help you:

Dombrowski, Daniel A. "Asceticism as Athletic Training in Plotinus."
Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt 2.36.1. Berlin: de Gruyter,
1987. 701-712.

Malherbe, Abraham J. "The Beasts at Ephesus." Journal of Biblical
Literature 87 (1968). 71-80. Repr., Paul and the Popular Philosophers
(Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1989). 79-89.

________ . "Antisthenes and Odysseus and Paul at War." Harvard Theological
Review 76 (1983). 143-173. Repr., Paul and the Popular Philosophers.
91-119.

Papathomas, Amphilochios. "Das agonistische Motiv 1 Kor 9.24ff. im Spiegel
zeitgenössischer dokumentarisher Quellen." New Testament Studies 43.2
(1997). 223-241.

And, of course, there are a number of studies on the related idea of
ASKHSIS.

Happy studies,

XPIC
Christopher R. Hutson