corpus-paul - Re: Gal 5:2-12 (was Gal. 2:11-21)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 5:2-12 (was Gal. 2:11-21)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:38:19 -0800

Mark Nanos wrote:

> Jim,
> What does this mean?:
>
> "...unless it can be argued that Paul himself added things to
> them in the process of composition, which is what I think happened at Gal
> 5:2 - 12..."

Okay, Mark, allow me to get a bit weird here. In recent years it has struck
me that Galatians really is quite different from the other letters in the
care with which it is composed -- forgive me for stating the obvious. It
is, as almost every one admits, a good piece of argumentation and fairly
tightly reasoned, I think. That has led me to think that Paul is not its
primary composer but that it was written for him by someone more skilled in
rhetoric than he. Almost everyone acknowledges the work of a "secretary" at
work in the letter, if for no other reason than the statement in 6:11.

But I want to take the point a step further. If you read 5:1 and then
immediately 5:13, it would seem that Paul has "edited in" a specific
teaching that he elaborates as central to, or at least important to an
understanding of what it means to be free in Christ. He comes back to the
same issue in the closing section of the letter, 6:11-16, again in his own
"voice" if you will. That is what I mean by Paul "adding" things to the
composition of his letters. I think it is fairly apparent in Galatians; I
haven't fussed much it elsewhere much except to muse on the possibility of
something like that happening in Philippians, for example.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net

>From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT mail.gvi.net>
>To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [corpus-paul] Re: Gal 5:2-12 (was Gal. 2:11-21)
>Date: Thu, Mar 30, 2000, 10:45 AM
>

> Regards,
> Mark Nanos
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: hester AT uor.edu
$subst('Email.Unsub')