corpus-paul - Galatians 1 new trans

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Charles Skallerud" <karolus AT wf.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Galatians 1 new trans
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:08:26 -0600

I've been working on a translation of Galatians for about a million years.
I got the idea of translating the pistis group as trust from a talk by
Leander Keck. The translation of charis as favor comes from Melanchthon.

Galatians 1
1.1 Paul, sent out, -not from people nor through a person, but through
Jesus the Messiah and God the Father who awakened him from the dead- 1.2
and all the brothers with me, to the communities of Galatia: 1.3 May favor
and peace be with you from God our Father and Lord Jesus the Messiah,1.4
who gave himself because of our failures in order that he might rescue us
from this present evil age according to the purpose of God our Father,1.5
to whom be glory for ages of ages. Amen. 1.6 I am amazed that you are so
quickly turning from the one who called you in his favor, to another
message; 1.7 though there is no other message except that some are
troubling you, wanting to change the message of the Messiah. 1.8 But if we,
or a messenger from the sky, should announce something contrary to what we
announced to you; let him be damned! 1.9 As we have said before, I say
again now; if anyone announces a message to you contrary to what you have
received; let him be damned!

1.10 Am I now convincing human beings or God? Or do I seek to please
people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a slave of the
Messiah. 1.11 I want to make it known to you, brothers, that the message
announced by me is not human. 1.12 I did not get it from a human being,
nor was I taught it, but I got it through a disclosure of Jesus the Messiah.

1.13 You heard about my way of life before in Judaism: that I was
aggressively tormenting the community of God, and I was trying to destroy
it.1.14 I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my
people, being deeply zealous for the traditions of my forefathers.1.15 But
when it pleased him, who set me apart from my mother's womb, and called me
through his favor, 1.16 to disclose his son in me so that I might announce
him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately ask the advice of people, 1.17
nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were sent out before me, but I
went away to Arabia, and again I went back to Damascus. 1.18 Then after
three years I went up to Jerusalem to find out about Cephas, and I stayed
with him for fifteen days.1.19 I did not see any of the others who were
sent out except James, the brother of the Lord. 1.20 Look here! Before
God, I am not lying in what I write to you. 1.21 Then I went to the regions
of Syria and Cilicia. 1.22 I was unknown by sight to the communities of the
Messiah in Judaea. 1.23 They only heard that "The one who was once
tormenting us, now brings the message of trust which he was then trying to
destroy,"1.24 and they praised God in me.

Charles Skallerud

  • Galatians 1 new trans, Charles Skallerud, 12/21/1999