corpus-paul - Re: 2 Timothy

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Condie <r.condie AT ridley.unimelb.edu.au>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Timothy
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:23:47 +1100

John

I can't recall if anyone argues that Timothy wrote it. But Jerome Quinn
suggests that
it might have been the same author as Luke-Acts, which might feed the
"Timothy as a
continuation of Paul" line of argument.

Jerome Quinn 'The last volume of Luke-Acts: the relation of Luke Acts to the
Pastoral
Epistles'. In _Perspectives on Luke-Acts_ Ed CH Talbert, Edinburgh: T&T
Clark. 1978.

Yrs
Richard Condie
Ridley College
Parkville, Melbourne
Australia.

> Subject: 2 Timothy
> From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:45:51 +1100
>
> I have been noting how strongly 2 Tim endorses Timothy's ERGON/DIAKONIA as
> the continuation of the apostle Paul's. Could others advise me about whether
> there is literature which purues the possibility that this epistle was
> generated by Timothy himself or by his followers in an attempt to strengthen
> Timothy's place/memory in the church. I myself can not see such a thesis
> 'flying', but I am sure the literature (if it exists) would prove helpful to
> my current investigation into the rise of hO EUAGGELISTHS in the Pauline
> circle.
> Thank you,
> John Dickson
> Department of Ancient History
> Macquarie University
> Sydney, Australia
> jdickson AT bigpond.com
> http://www.users.bigpond.com/jdickson/
> Sydney, Australia

  • 2 Timothy, John Dickson, 11/16/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: 2 Timothy, Richard Condie, 11/18/1999
    • Re: 2 Timothy, Stephen C. Carlson, 11/18/1999