corpus-paul - the background of the evening prayer

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: the background of the evening prayer
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:11:28 -0600

I wonder if List Members might be able to answer a slightly off topic
question that I have hinted at in various ways before but never quite
asked directly. The question is this:

Is there any evidence indicating/any reason to believe that the
particular portion of the (presumably first century) mandatory Evening
Prayer (preserved in Ber. 60b) that reads

and lead me not into (Lo l'yidei) sin (xet),
or into iniquity ('avon)
or into testing (ni'sa'yon),
or into contempt (biza'yon).

carries with it a reference to and/or is meant to call to mind in an
anti-typological fashion in a manner similar to what Paul does in 1 Cor
10:1-12, the activities of the Wilderness generation at Merribah and
Massah?

To put this more bluntly, is there any reason to believe that when the
prayer was said, the prayer is asking for divine protection from ever
becoming like the Israelites who put God to the test at Merribah and
Massah?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • the background of the evening prayer, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 11/11/1999