corpus-paul - Re: Paul Opponents in Phil. 1:16-17 only

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Yuri Kuchinsky <yuku AT globalserve.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul Opponents in Phil. 1:16-17 only
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:10:34 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for such a late reply, Brian.

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Brian Tucker wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have read a number of articles on Paul's opponents in Phil. but, who
> do you think he was referring too in Phil 1:16-17?
>
> Do you accept this:
>
> A. They were members of the Christian community in the city where Paul
> is imprisoned. Schmithal's asserts the contrary.

In my view, they may be members of some of the Roman congregations, or
perhaps travelling preachers just like Paul.

In Alfred Loisy's view, there were a number of Christian congregations in
Rome, and the Roman Christians were not yet unified at the time of Paul.
He comes to this conclusion based on how Paul addresses his Roman audience
in the epistle. (I assume Paul wrote Phil in Rome, of course.)

More on Loisy's analysis of this can be found on my now updated website.
(I can repost these articles here if people have problems accessing my
website.)

> B. They are not related in any direct sense to the Philippians.

Probably not. Based on Loisy, this letter was written in Rome, so these
preachers are probably not relevant to Philippians directly.

> So my question is, who are they...
>
> 1. Was it Judaizers?

Probable. According to Loisy, this would have been the main group trying
to get Paul into trouble.

> 2. Was it the group that Paul was dealing with in Rom 14:17? Of
> course, this would pre-suppose Roman imprisonment? Fee.

In Loisy's view, Rom 14:17 is a rather late addition to the text of Rom,
well after the time of Paul.

I've now finally updated my webpage to include some more material about
how Loisy views the problem of Pauline authenticity. Included there is my
version of Loisy's reconstruction of the "real Epistle to the Romans", as
well as a more general historical and theological backgrounds. It's all
there at,

http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/bbl.htm

near the beginning of the page.

Best wishes,

Yuri.

"It is so much easier to assume than to prove; it is so much less painful
to believe than to doubt; there is such a charm in the repose of
prejudice, when no discordant voice jars upon the harmony of belief; there
is such a thrilling pang when cherished dreams are scattered, and old
creeds abandoned, that it is not surprising that men close their eyes to
the unwelcome light" -- W.E.H. Lecky (A History of Rationalism)

  • Re: Paul Opponents in Phil. 1:16-17 only, Yuri Kuchinsky, 10/11/1999