corpus-paul - Paul's Greek

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's Greek
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 11:57:06 -0400

I was reading Jerome the other day and I came across the following passage
from Epista 120,11, in which Jerome seems to say that Paul was uncomfortable
with eloquent Greek and therefore used Titus as an interpreter/translator
just as Peter used Mark:

>Aliquotiens diximus apostolum Paulum virum fuisse doctissimum et eruditum ad
>pedes Gamalihel, qui in apostolorum Actibus contionatur ed dicit: [Acts
>5:38f]. Cumque haberet sanctarum scripturarum et sermonis diversarumque
>linguarum gratiam possideret (unde ipse gloriatur in domino et dicit: [1 Cor
>14:18f]), divinorum sensuum maiestatem digno no poterat Graeci eloquii
>explicare sermone. habebat ergo Titum interpretus sicut et beatus Petrus
>Marcum, cuius evangelium Petro narrante et illo scribente compositum est.

Is my understanding of Jerome's characterization of Paul correct? If so,
is Jerome correct? What basis, if any, is there for believing that Paul's
letters were written/translated by an aide? Or, vice versa, what basis is
there for believing that Paul himself composed the Greek of his letters?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com

  • Paul's Greek, Stephen C. Carlson, 10/09/1999