corpus-paul - Paul and latin

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jürg Buchegger <j.buchegger AT datacomm.ch>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul and latin
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:23:51 +0200

I am still researching some possible pauline neologisms (greek words
possibly coined by Paul) and I still have the question I asked on B-Greek a
couple of months ago in the back of my head: What do we know about the
knowledge of the latin language by Paul? Ever read something about this
somewhere? I guess, that during his education, latin was no topic, but how
much did the "average man" somewhere in a province of the Roman empire have
to know some latin? Weren't their signs to be read? Flags, coins etc.?And,
if it is true that Paul was a Roman citizen, what would that mean for his
knowledge of latin?
For example: How high is the possibility that Paul had an exact idea what
the latin word renovare meant, so he would have been influenced by it when
he coined ANAKAINOW?
Any idea? Any hint is welcome.

Juerg Buchegger
Pastor EFC Bern, Switzerland
PhD candidate, ETF Leuven, Belgium

  • Paul and latin, Jürg Buchegger, 10/05/1999