corpus-paul - Re: Sons of God - Paul and 4Q246

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "J.E.Harding" <BSP97JEH AT sheffield.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sons of God - Paul and 4Q246
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:23:28 +0100

The relationship between 4Q246 and the NT is very difficult to
discern, and the literature on this topic is expanding. There can be
little doubt that some relationship exists between this text and
Luke 1:32-35, and I am inclined to think that both 4Q246 and Luke (or
his source) knew a common tradition which was rooted in the Book of
Daniel and its cognate traditions. I think it is problematic to see the
figure in 4Q246 as a messianic figure, because the very concept of
messianism was not well defined in this period of Judaism. David
Flusser makes an interesting case for an antichrist figure, but F.
Garcia Martinez's idea that this is an angelic figure is worth
considering, in light of OT references which refer to angels as sons
of God (e.g. Job 1.6). Reading Paul in light of this idea is
interesting: Jesus at his ascension becomes an angelic/heavenly
figure, and in Revelation (different tradition, I know) holy ones,
apostles and prophets appear in heaven, suggesting they follow Jesus
to heaven. Perhaps Paul is drawing on a similar idea: Jesus as Son of
God is a heavenly figure, and by extension aspire to a similar
vocation.

These are a few ideas, slightly underdeveloped but I hope they
stimulate further ideas.

James Harding
University of Sheffield