corpus-paul - Re: 1 Cor 12:1-10 & Appropriation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John M. Contabile II" <jcontabile AT earthlink.net>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: 1 Cor 12:1-10 & Appropriation
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:54:15

Brian,

I would have to side with Schweitzer's views with regard to one of the main
themes presented by Paul regarding life in Christ. I have not read the
work by Schweitzer that you cited, but from my understanding of Paul, he is
clearly championing a life of troubled servanthood for the sake of Christ
and his gospel.

Regarding 2 Cor. 12:1-10, I would say that if Paul is calling others to
appropriate anything it would be weakness. Paul's other grand experiences
which he alludes to are not what he would expect to be a normal part of the
Christian life. But a life of weakness, yes, this seems to be clearly
parenetic, if not clearly here, then in 13:4 and in other letters.

Another place that came to mind as I initially read your question was 1
Thess. 1:6. Here too, Paul seems to be indicating sufferings/trials are
normal for apostles as well as every follower of Christ.

John Contabile
Covina, CA
jcontabile AT earthlink.net

"History is written by those