corpus-paul - Re: 1 Cor 15.10

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Revd Dr Sean F. Winter" <sean.winter AT virgin.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Cor 15.10
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:22:39 +0100

Craig,

I agree with Richard and Bob; the EIMI HO EIMI phrase can only be
properly understood within the context. This is the only way to clarify
the undoubted ambiguity of the language.

The closest parallel that I can think of are the EGO EIMI phrases in
the gospels. In Jesus' mouth these can be either a simple formula for
self-identification (Mark 6.50) or an allusion to the Exodus formula
(e.g. John 8.28). Failure to take context into account would require us
to suspect that the man born blind is claiming divine status (John 9.9).

To return to Paul and I Cor 15.10 it seems clear to me that EIMI HO
EIMI is simply an easy way of describing Paul's present status as keast
of the apostles. It wouldn't surprise me if the phrase cropped up all
over Greek literature in this idiomatic sense, but I don't have access
to TLG to do the search.

That deals with authorial intention. As to whether Gentile readers
would have caught an allusion to Exodus? I doubt it. Whether Craig's
reading of the phrase as an allusion is legitimate raises
hermenutical questions best left for another time and another list.

Sean

  • Re: 1 Cor 15.10, Revd Dr Sean F. Winter, 08/06/1999