corpus-paul - RE: Reading Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: David Reist <dmreist AT netspeed.com.au>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Reading Paul
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:56:55 +1000

Thank you for that explanation.

----------
From: Perry L. Stepp
Sent: Saturday, 31 July 1999 0:24
To: Corpus-paul

-----Original Message-----
From: David Reist <dmreist AT netspeed.com.au>

>Would you be able to explain 'authorial audience' -
>I have not seen Jauss and Rabinowitz's work. Is
>it similiar to 'intended reader' as used in narrative
>criticism?

"Reading from the perspective of the authorial audience" is much like
reading from the perspective of the intended reader. The overarching
question is, "From a historical perspective, how would ancient Graeco-Roman
hearers/readers have understood this text?"

In the end, this method asks questions similar to those asked by traditional
redaction criticism (i.e., regarding authorial intent), but with an
important difference. It approaches intentionality from the perspective of
*reception* (reconstructing ancient hearers/readers, reconstructing
interpretive communities.)
How far do you think we can go in understanding a first-century
hearer/reader's response? Some might argue it is an impossible task and,
possibly, in the final analysis, irrelevant. Do you think the pursuit of
reconstructing 'authorial audiences' is worthwhile? Would you recommend a
particular treatment that gives a good example of the possibilities of such
an approach?
Thus "How would the historically reconstructed first-century Corinthian
Christian audience hear/understand this?" rather than "What did Paul *mean*

PLStepp

---
You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: dmreist AT netspeed.com.au

<<application/ms-tnef>>