corpus-paul - RE: C-P: 1 Cor. 8:6

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: C-P: 1 Cor. 8:6
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:51:03 -0400

> From: Jeffrey B. Gibson

> Liz Fried wrote:
>
> > How did Paul understand the relationship between Jesus and God?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> Do you think you could be a little more specific about what it is
> that you take to be
> stated in this text about this relationship that is causing you
> to ask this question?
I'll try:
1) I guess from Phil. Paul believes that Jesus pre-existed, and willingly
became flesh.
Now, of course, we read this in the Wisd. Sol, that this is what every soul
does, it pre-exists, probably in the morphe thiou, and then becomes flesh,
willingly or not. So is Paul's belief about Jesus different from this, and
if so how ?
2) Is Paul's notion of Jesus the same that is expressed in GJohn, the word
made flesh, so that Jesus=YHWH, if that is what GJohn means?
or 3) is Jesus a man who was exalted by being raised from the dead, so that
we know that the time of the general resurrection of the dead is upon us?
4) none of the above? if so, what then?
5) all of the above?????

Thanks,
Liz