corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: July 09, 1999

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT csi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: July 09, 1999
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:31:22 -0400

David Noy said:

>>dinner parties and family cults were probably not of much significance to
residents of Roman tenements!<<

When I read this it made me chuckle. A similar incongruity can be found in
attempts to explain how the Pauline epistles were disseminated, by reference
to how aristocratic Romans wrote poetic, philosophical or scientific works.
Epistles are not major works of prose or poetry, nor were the early Christians
rich Roman aristocrats.

While I am thoroughly enjoying the most recent exchanges by Mark Nanos and
Neil Elliott, I have to wonder ... With all the recent emphasis on patronage
(Crossan, Borg, etc), formal dinners and family cults (in this case Mr.
Nanos), just to name a few, has our interpretation of ancient sources been
unduly affected by the conventions of modern academic environments? By this I
mean: patronage = teacher/student and institution/teaching staff
relationships; dinner parties = presentations/seminars/lectures; family cults
= fraternity/sorority or mentor/protege relationships, etc..

Just a thought...

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

  • Re: corpus-paul digest: July 09, 1999, David C. Hindley, 07/10/1999