corpus-paul - 1 Thess 2:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Thess 2:16
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:40:53 -0700

With apologies to the moderator and the members of the list, I have been
away on vacation and haven't been keeping up with the various threads being
pursued. And, I would like help on something with which I am grappling now.

I am curious if any one out there has been working on 1 Thess lately and, if
so, if they want to propose a translation for 2:16. I am particularly
interested in the phrase EIS TELOS.

In the Idiom Book Moule suggests that it be understood as meaning
"completely." BDF suggests "fully." NRSV translates it "at last." In his
commentary F. F. Bruce goes with "in full" but cites T. Levi 6:11 to
elaborate on this, using the synonyms "completely" or "utterly." Wanamaker
wants to understand the phrase to mean that God's wrath will rest upon the
unbelieving Jews until the end of the age when Christ comes.

The problem for me is whether or not to understand this as part of Paul's
apocalyptic teaching or as part of his eschatology. To me there is a
conceptual and rhetorical difference between the use of "wrath" in 1:10,
"...Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath," and 2:16, "...but the
wrath has come upon them EIS TELOS."

By the way, the background for this is a paper I am working on for the
Rhetorical NT Section at the SBL meeting in Boston.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu

  • 1 Thess 2:16, Jim Hester, 07/08/1999