corpus-paul - Rights of assembly?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Rights of assembly?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:37:16 -0700

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:09:21 -0400 "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT csi.com>
writes:

>...After all, the Jewish people had won some very significant rights and
>privileges that were often envied by Gentiles. Some examples might be
>... rights of assembly not normally available to many Gentiles...

Hmm. Could you provide more details on this, please? What is the evidence
for such rights, and when did such rights begin?

I seem to recall that the word 'synagogue' (knesset??) during the Roman
period, at least pre-70 CE referred primarily to an assembly, and not
necessarily specifically to a religious gathering; it only later (after
the rabbis moved to Galilee and set up shop there) acquired such a
meaning. Archaeological evidence seems to favor mainly unspecialized
rather than specialized buildings for assemblies in the towns and
villages before 70 CE. So where I'm headed with this is, if you are
right, did this Roman grant of privilege contribute in an odd way to the
development of the Jewish synagogue as we presently know it, and to the
Christian church as well?

Bob
Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ

  • Rights of assembly?, Robert M Schacht, 07/08/1999