corpus-paul - Re: Paul & Authority

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus Paulinum" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul & Authority
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 17:51:09 -0700

Bob Schacht wrote:

> Paul's attitude towards authority was surely complex. First, of course,
> were differences between human and divine authority. Divine authority
> could be subdivided into the Law, and inspiration received from visions
> (or whatever it is that Paul is referring to in Galatians 1:11, and when
> he writes such things as, "not I, but the Lord" in 1 Cor 7:10). And the
> category of human authority could be further subdivided into imperial
> authority, the authority of the "pillars," and his own authority.
>
> Regarding his attitude towards human authority, recently discussed here,
> I suspect his views may have changed from the time around the first
> Apostolic conference in the 40s, when he was the new kid on the block, to
> the mid to late 50s, when he was considered an authority in the churches
> he had established in Greece and Asia Minor.

The most coherent sense I can make of Paul's attitude towards human
authority is this: Such authority did indeed devolve from God to various
kings *originally*. However, on earth this authority fell under corruption
so that now such power is being exercised in the service of metaphysical
evil.

Other apostles shared this view of the power structure as well. (Jn
19.10-11, Jesus before Pilate).

Apostles used Christ's superior spiritual power to wrestle the corrupted
power away from the demonic forces which were manipulating kings and
emperors like puppeteers. Demons are behind the thrones of corrupt earthly
power. Said Paul --

" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities,
against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against
spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Such power came from God originally -- "For by him were all things created,
that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether
they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were
created by him, and for him."

Even though the demons usurped these powers during the prior aeon, yet
Christ has now conquered the Devil. -- "And having spoiled principalities
and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."
(Colossians 2:15 )

Apostles possess this triumphant spiritual authority too, as deputies who
may apply it against the demons. Neverthless, the apostles will also, like
Christ, have their flesh destroyed by carnal potentates. The spiritual
victory remains assured, in the dimension that really counts.

Best regards,

Jon