corpus-paul - Re: Jewish missionary preaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Craig S de Vos <csdevos AT trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jewish missionary preaching
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:54:20 +1000

>Don Garlington and Jon Peter have voiced different opinions about the
>extent of the Jewish missionary preaching during the time of the NT. Let
>me just supply a few more bibliographical works.
>
>Among those critical are:
>Scott McKnight , A Light Among the Gentiles , (already mentioned)
>Goodman, Martin, Mission and Conversion (1994)
>
>Advocating it from a Jewish standpoint:
>Feldman, L Jews and Gentiles in the Ancient World, 1993.
>
>Older affirmative treatments:
>Bultmann, R, Theologie (esp p. 69)
>Dalbert, P Hellenistisch- jüdischen Missionsliteratur ( too uncritical)
>Bussman, Paulinischen Missionspredigt, ( cf pp. 144-191)
>
>Recent critical evaluation: Carleton-Paget, James, "Jewish Proselytism at
>the Time of Christian Origins: Chimera or Reality? , JSNT 62 , 1996, 65-103.
>
>Examples of the Jewish missionary preaching of the one true God is found in
>the Letter of Aristeas 132 and the Sibylline Oracles 3:11.
>
>Hope this will help,
>
>Anders ERiksson

To this list one should also add:
Levinskaya, I. The Book of Acts in its Diaspora Setting. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996 (esp. pp. 19-49)

Craig

Dr. Craig S. de Vos
Bromby Lecturer in New Testament
Trinity College Theological School
Royal Parade
Parkville VIC 3052
Australia
(O) +61 3 9349-0129 (F) +61 3 9349-0460
csdevos AT trinity.unimelb.edu.au

  • Jewish missionary preaching, Anders Eriksson, 06/18/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Jewish missionary preaching, Craig S de Vos, 06/20/1999