corpus-paul - C-P: Catholic scholarship on Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Andrew T. Dolan, ABD" <dolan AT lasalle.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: C-P: Catholic scholarship on Paul
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:56:35 -0400

scholarship be identified with the online Catholic Encyclopedia, I
recommend, e.g., The New Jerome Biblical Commentary (1990). Joe Fitzmyer's
work on Paul doesn't seem daring or very imaginative to me (cf. his casual
dismissal of the subjective genitive pistis Christou in his recent Romans
commentary), but it's careful and not characterized by uncritical acceptance
of post-first-century legends about Paul.
I would even question the apparent consensus on the date of 1 Clement to
which Jon Peter refers and which seems founded on weak assumptions from
Lightfoot (see J. Christian Wilson, "The Problem of the Domitianic Date of
Revelation," NTS 39 [1993]: 587-605).

Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. Cand.
Core Adjunct Professor of Religion and Classics
McShain Hall 211
LaSalle University - 129
1900 W. Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141-1199
(215) 951-1327
dolan AT lasalle.edu
http://www.lasalle.edu/~dolan/home.htm

  • C-P: Catholic scholarship on Paul, Andrew T. Dolan, ABD, 06/04/1999