corpus-paul - Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Mike Myers <mmyers AT helium.biomol.uci.edu>, Liz Fried <lizfried AT umich.edu>, Lewis Reich <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • Subject: Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:24:56 -0500

Mike Myers wrote:

> [snip]

> This is a really interesting point Liz. Ever since I read Jack
> Miles' "God: A Biography", this is a question that I can't get out
> of my head -- Why can't God change?
>
> Is there strong reason to think that the HB teaches a static God?
> Isn't this a Greek idea? Would be interested in what you and Lewis
> think about this.

Not to be heavy handed about this, but the topic of what the HB teaches or
does not
teach about a static God, let alone what Maimonide's' conception of God might
be,
seems to be far from anything that can be construed as Pauline.

So I would request that unless this thread is somehow brought back on track
and shown
to be relevant to an understanding of something within the Pauline corpus,
you pursue
this discussion off list.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Gibson