corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Paul the Pharisee

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Paul the Pharisee
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:45:14 -0500

Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:

>It seems to me that understanding Paul as a Pharisee goes a long way in
>helping to understand Paul. Paul said that he had persecuted Christians
>prior to his conversion. I had always wondered what form this persecution
>would take. It occurs to me that the Gospels describe the Pharisees as
>hounding Jesus. They are shown continually questioning the degree to which
>he follows the law or teaches following the law. It seems the Pharisees are
>shown persecuting him. Could this be the sort of thing Paul refers to?
>
>It seems to me that this explains a great deal about Paul. In 1 Cor. 5:1-5
>Paul states that the man who is living with his father's wife should be
>removed from the community. In vs. 6 he accuses his addressees of boasting
>in being saved without being righteous (is this not what he accused the Jews
>of? boasting in the law/grace without following it?). Then he lists in vs.
>5::9-11all the different types of sinners the Christian shouldn't associate
>with. In vs 11 he says: "DO NOT EVEN EAT WITH SUCH A ONE." It seems to that these are all
>Pharisaic attitudes

>lqf9256 AT is3.nyu.edu
>lizfried AT umich.edu

Let me commend pages 24-27 in Calvin J. Roetzel, Paul: the Man and the Myth (Columbia: University of Couth Carolina Press, 1998). Calvin has a nuance discussion of Paul as Pharisee, but in a Hellenistic context. I will be interested in the reactions of others to his interpretation.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street
Chicago, IL 60615 USA
773-256-0752
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu (Office)
GHRASKW AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS.

  • C-P: Paul the Pharisee, Liz Fried, 05/27/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: C-P: Paul the Pharisee, Edgar Krentz, 05/27/1999