corpus-paul - Re: from Troy Martin on Paul as Exorcist

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Graydonsny AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: from Troy Martin on Paul as Exorcist
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:50:46 EDT

Troy,

Thanks for that story about Morton Smith. Someday I'll tell you the story of
his visit to UofC. The point is interesting, but wrong. Smith assumers the
evil spirits are the negative side of the good spirit. It may be logical,
but it isn't Pauline. The Spirit creates community in Paul (! Cor. 12), so
the negative side is that which disrupts the community. In Paul that is
individual ambition or sarx. I wonder what Smith does with sarx?

Graydon F., Snyder
Chicago Theological Seminary