corpus-paul - Re: I Peter 1:7: Whose Praise, Glory and Honor?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "kosala@md2" <kosala AT md2.vsnl.net.in>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <CWestf5155 AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: I Peter 1:7: Whose Praise, Glory and Honor?
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:53:06 +0530

Thank you for your message.

It is true that there is no other mention anywhere praising FAITH.

But the v.5 above does mention the importance of Faith, that it is THE
instrument for their salvation. Cf.James 1,3; Lk 7,50 par. etc. which
inherit the importance of faith. Even 1 Cor 13, which expressly speaks of
praising Love, includes Faith. Love was important for that Hymn-writer for
the life in this ?World as humans. In 1 Peter the writer speaks of
"heavenly" context,i.e. Salvation.

The understanding that Faith is the object of the Praise etc. clears all
other doubts.

May be that is why 1 Peter underlines the Faith in this way.

Further it is not always the case that we have another Text in the
Scripture to support an idea or concept.

Thanks
-Kishore Kosala