corpus-paul - Re: Christocentric Soteriology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Christocentric Soteriology
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:15:56 -0500

"Michele Dolan, OTR/L" wrote:

> Especially if one accepts the subjective genitive of pistis Christou, Paul
> can be read as presenting a soteriology in which Jesus has already
> accomplished something through his death/resurrection. The clearest
> statement of this soteriology is Stan Stowers' proposal of the messiah who
> delayed. Also helpful, I believe, is B. H. McLean's suggestion of Jesus as
> a pharmakos, the foundations of which are set in his article "The Absence of
> an Atoning Sacrifice in Paul's Soteriology," NTS 38.4 (1992): 531-53. Can
> anyone recommend bibliography or offer other explanation of a Christocentric
> Pauline soteriology in which Jesus is something other than a passive object
> of human faith?

I believe this idea--that is to say, that Jesus for Paul is other than a
passive
object of human belief, and actually provides a pattern of faithfulness that
those
"in Christ" are committed to follow--is emphasized in Markus Barth's article
"The
Faith of the Messiah" which appeared in the Heythrop Journal 10 (1969)
363-370. It is
a central theme in the chapter of John Howard Yoder's _The Politics of Jesus_
entitled
"Justification by Grace through Faith".

By the way, B.H. McLean is now a C-P member. Perhaps, once seeing this, he
will join
in the discussion.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson