corpus-paul - Re: Acceptable Pseudonymity?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Acceptable Pseudonymity?
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:09:50 -0400

At 11:06 AM 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>It seems to me that one of the facets of our discussion(s) of pseudonymity
>and the canonical Pauline corpus deserves to be unpacked further. To wit:
>what evidence is there that pseudonymity was an accepted device in the
>developing church in the first century? (And yes, I'm assuming the
>existence of a generally "orthodox", homogenous body of Christianity from
>the earliest days.)

Many years ago Kurt Aland wrote a very seminal article on this subject. I
dont remember the exact title- but perhaps Edgar will recall it. It was
something like "The NT and Pseudonymity". In this essay Aland discusses all
the relevant issues. Those interested really should get a copy and look at
it. I think it was published in JBL or NT Studies or some other well known
and fairly accesible journal.

If I can track down the exact reference I will pass it along. I hope
someone will beat me to it.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest