corpus-paul - C-P: Apocalyptic

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Andrew T. Dolan, MA. PhD. Cand." <dolan AT lasalle.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: C-P: Apocalyptic
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 09:58:26 -0400

Ron Troxel observed:
"Apocalyptic" as a label for literature written to people in crisis seems to
me a misnomer. The issue here, once again, is really eschatology, within
which the removal of impediments to the ideal age is the prelude to the
introduction of that age.

I strongly agree. "Apocalyptic" is notorious as a catchall that obscures
rather than clarifies, particularly when the term is used synonymously for
"eschatological" or "millennialist." I find very helpful the admonition of
John Collins: distinguish apocalypse, apocalyptic eschatology, and
apocalypticism. Apocalypse refers to a literary genre. Apocalyptic
eschatology refers to a thought system found in literature defined as
apocalypses. Apocalypticism is a social phenomenon characteristic of groups
who either possess, preserve, produce, and peruse apocalypses or subscribe
to elements of apocalyptic eschatology. If we define apocalyptic
eschatology as maintaining a dualistic separation of the present age and the
age to come, this world and the Other world, and the forces of good and
evil, Paul would seem to have an apocalyptic eschatology. I would
appreciate any description of Paul as apocalyptic to include a
definition/explanation of such a use of "apocalyptic."

Andy

Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. Cand.
Core Adjunct Professor of Religion and Classics
McShain Hall 211
LaSalle University - 129
1900 W. Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141-1199