corpus-paul - CP- Apocalyptic

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: CP- Apocalyptic
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:23:11 -0400

I'd like to come back to Bob Bayer's earlier question.
How is it possible to go from the existence of apocalyptic texts to any
assumption of the *prevalence* of these ideas in the Jewish community?
Presumably these texts had an audience, but how can we gauge its size?
Josephus gives us no hint that these ideas were prevalent.

I think these ideas influenced Paul, but that does not indicate how
prevalent they were in the general population, or literate population even.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
New York University
51 Washington Sq. S.
New York, NY 10012
lqf9256 AT is3.nyu.edu
lizfried AT umich.edu

  • CP- Apocalyptic, Liz Fried, 05/07/1999