corpus-paul - Baur on 1 Thess

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Baur on 1 Thess
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:13:32 -0700

Many thanks to Frank for the __Forschungsbericht_ on authorship of 2 Thess.
One supplement to the comment:
>Baur also denied Pauline authorship of both 1 and 2 Thess., evidently
>because of their lack of justification by faith.

Baur found the commendation of Judean Christian churches in 1 Thess 2:13-16
_unpaulinisch_ and so proposed that the letter was post-Pauline, reflective
of the Pauline rapprochement with the Petrines; I don't recall whether he
mentions justification by faith in this connection or not. (It's
interesting that Rainer Riesner has recently argued that references to
PISTIS in 1 Thess presuppose the fuller doctrine of Galatians and Romans
[_Paul's Early Period_].) This is of course the passage that has recently
struck Birger Pearson and others as post-Pauline, though they have opted
for less radical surgery than Baur. The passage has IMHO been better
understood by John Hurd and Carol Schleuter (_"Filling Up the Measure":
Polemical Hyperbole in 1 Thess 2:13-16_, JSNTSup).

Jeff

Jeffrey Peterson
Institute for Christian Studies
Austin, Texas, USA

  • Baur on 1 Thess, Jeff Peterson, 05/04/1999