corpus-paul - Re: Paul's attitude to women

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Markus McDowell <mhmcdowe AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's attitude to women
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:54:28 -0700

On 5/3/99 2:45 PM, Jim West (jwest AT highland.net) wrote:

>In the synagogue in the first c. ce women
>sat on one side and men on the other. Paul's advice here is merely
>practical. Woman should wait till they get home to ask their husbands
>questions about what the "preacher" has said rather than interrupt the
>service by yelling across the bench at him to find out the meaning of some
>obscure Pauline idea.

Jim,
Although you make a good point, if this is indeed the situation, I think
two questions should be asked here:

1. Do we know for sure that men and women sat on opposite sides of
Diaspora synagogues? Although this seems to be a common assumption, I
rememebr reading recently that was was no direct evidence of this in the
first century - but i have not found where i read that yet. Maybe someone
else knows somehting about this.

2. Even if that WAS thje case in Diaspora synagogues, is there any reason
to think the the largely Gentile church in Corinth would haev followed
that pattern. Did pagan temples with mixed audeiences do the same. But
more importantly, the Corinthian church seems to be pressing their 'new
found freedom' of Christianity...in light of the mixing of sexes, races,
and social groups that is apparent in the Cor church, would they still
haev seated themselves separetly?

MARKUS H. MCDOWELL
Adjunct Professor PhD student
Religion Division Center for Advanced Theological Studies
Pepperdine University Fuller Theological Seminary
Malibu, California Pasadena, California
http://home1.gte.net/markusm/